PRACTICE EXERCISE FOR LESSON 3
You have just finished reading the instructional material for Lesson 3. This lesson covered how to prepare a
smoke overlay establishing smoke positions, conducting tactical movement of the smoke platoon, conducting fuel
resupply operations, adjusting smoke, and establishing and controlling activities at a smoke control point. It is
now time to check your understanding of the lesson. This is done by completing the practice exercise below. All
of the questions are multiple-choice and are intended to measure your understanding of the procedures used in
performing the task. There is only one correct answer to each question. Try to answer all of the questions
without referring to the lesson material.
When you have completed all of the questions, turn the page and check you answers against the correct
responses. Each correct response is referenced to specific portions of the lesson material so that you can review
any questions you have missed or do not understand. When you have completed your review, continue to the next
1. To make the movement efficient, when can preliminary work be done?
Before moving into an area.
While moving into the area.
As soon as the control point has been established.
Before the end of the smoke mission.
2. A close column movement, during daylight conditions, requires how many meters for spacing?
3. Who would normally be designated as the smoke control officer?
First platoon leader.
Fuel supply platoon leader.
4. During a tactical movement, where is the platoon sergeant located?
Near the rear.
5. Smoke production should be checked __________________?
After 3 minutes of operation.
Not until 15 minutes of stabilization has occurred.