Lesson 1/Learning Event 1
Personnel who operate the 50-GPM Pump should be aware of safe operating procedures at all
times. They should avoid wearing loose clothing or personal equipment with dangling straps or
appendages which could become entangled in the pump or motor. Safety precautions to be
observed are given in the following paragraphs.
Before starting the engine or operating any of the components, insure that no loose bars, tools, or
parts are lying in or on any part of the equipment, as they could cause serious damage to
equipment or bodily injury to personnel.
Disconnect the spark plug cable prior to engine maintenance to prevent accidental starting and
Always provide metal-to-metal contact between the fuel container and the fuel tank while
refueling, to avoid igniting fuel vapors from a static electricity spark.
Before refueling, insure that adequate fire-fighting equipment is serviceable and is available for
immediate use in the event of fire or explosion.
During engine operation, proper fire-fighting equipment should be serviceable and kept nearby in
the event of fire. Do not smoke or use an open flame in the vicinity of these gasoline vapor
Do not refuel while the engine is in operation.
Do not touch the ignition system harness during starting or while in operation. Severe shocks or
burns could result and personnel may be seriously injured.
Never touch the engine or engine accessories with bare hands during operation, or before they
have cooled sufficiently. Severe burns can be caused through carelessness.
If operating the engine or equipment inside or indoors, insure that proper ventilation is provided.
Carbon monoxide fumes are colorless, odorless, and deadly gases. These gases could cause
permanent brain damage or death, if highly concentrated in any certain area. The symptoms are
headache, dizziness, loss of muscular control, apparent drowsiness, and coma. If exposure
symptoms exist, move the afflicted person or personnel to a properly ventilated area and provide
artificial respiration, if necessary.
Dry-cleaning solvent, used to clean engine parts, is potentially dangerous to personnel and
property. Avoid repeated and prolonged skin contact. Do not use near an open flame or
excessive heat. The flash point of the solvent is 100 F. 138 F./38 C. -60 C.